Yoga and Mindfulness for Young People
“Research has shown that the number of young people reporting feelings of depression and anxiety is rising and there is a trend for the rates of these disorders to increase in the transition between childhood and adolescence”.
Amy Morgan, Institute of Psychological Sciences, University of Leeds.
Yoga appeals to all:
Sporty students practise yoga to enhance performance in their sport
Non-sporty students enjoy yoga as it is non-competitive and keeps them active
Both girls and boys like yoga as it enhances stamina, strength and confidence.
It also provides relaxation, flexibility exercises to promote emotional and physical wellbeing.
Students with Special Education Needs amongst other benefits, enjoy yoga through stretching and relaxation.
Overall, every student, whatever their capabilities can benefit from:
- Reduced tension, stress and anxiety
- Increased self-esteem, promoting self-efficacy
- Improves motivation
- Helps focus and concentration
- Encourages self management of behaviour
- Creates awareness of emotional responses
- Promotes positive social, mental and emotional health